Issue 16 Open Call
We are thrilled to announce our OPEN CALL for Issue 14 of Maake Magazine, curated by Stephanie Baptist.
DEADLINE Thursday, November 2, 2023 at 11:59pm EST
Artists making work in all media are encouraged to apply. There are no restrictions. Applicants can be based anywhere in the world. Applications will be accepted via Submittable.
About the Curator
Stephanie Baptist is the Founder and Director of Medium Tings, a nomadic gallery with a focus on early career artists from around the world. Medium Tings has collaborated with James Fuentes Gallery, Anna Zorina Gallery, Art in Ad Places, Times Square Arts, and 92NY. As an independent curator and producer for more than 10 years, Stephanie has collaborated with noted contemporary artists and organizations in the US, Europe and Africa. Stephanie is a consulting curator for Google’s Artist in Residence Program, and has worked as a curator for Meta in New York, and served as Head of Exhibitions for Tiwani Contemporary in London. She is the editor of Àsìkò: On the Future of Artistic and Curatorial Pedagogies in Africa, and a 2019 Women in Power Fellow for 92Y in New York. Stephanie is a current mentor for New Inc., and has served as a reviewer for Art Omi, The International Center of Photography, Parsons School of Design, Nars Foundation, and The Shed. Stephanie holds an MA in Arts Administration and Cultural Policy from Goldsmiths, University of London and currently lives in Brooklyn. She has been profiled in New York Times, New York Magazine, and Hyperallergic.
Published Artists receive the following:
- Work featured in print issue of the magazine (two full pages)
- One complimentary copy of Maake Magazine (We can only ship within the United States)
- Artist Feature posted on the Maake Instagram and website
- Artist Interview and accompanying gallery of work posted on our website
- Future consideration for upcoming exhibitions and projects
Eligibility & Terms:
- Artists must be 18 years old or older to apply
- Artists may submit up to 6 works
- Artists working in all media are welcome to apply
- Artists working anywhere in the world are welcome to apply
Submission Fee $30
- Please submit between 2–6 images of work (or video or other media)
- Short artist statement (under 180 words)
Optional Submission Information
- Short bio
- Social Media info
Artists will be notified of the results of the open call by December 15, 2023
Artists interviews will be comprised of a series of questions that are addressed to all artists in the issue. Interviews are written and conducted via email.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org